Friday, June 16, 2006

Butternut Squash and Hazelnut Lasagne (Page 234)

  • Date: Thursday, June 15, 2006 - 8pm
  • Location: Palo Alto, CA
  • Kitchen: Chris' Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Chris
  • Dining Companions: Robert and Soren
  • Recipe Rating: C+
This recipe was another product of the online random number generator. It wasn't great. To be fair, I am always partial to lasagne with a tomato based sauce, and this one was a bechamel based lasagne instead. But still, I approached it with an open mind and wasn't impressed. The squash filling had a good flavor, but the bechamel was too bland. Plus, this recipe, like most new lasagne recipes, called for no-boil, oven ready lasagne noodles. I really think that these oven-ready noodles are a lousy innovation. For one, they absord so much liquid, that this lasagne for instance, came out a bit dry. Also, I really just don't like the texture of the no-boil noodles. I appreciate that it makes lasagne take much less time to make, but I don't think that the saved time makes up for the reduction of quality. Overall, I wasn't impressed by this dish. I left half my piece on my plate. Plus, it took a non-trivial time investment to make. It just wasn't worth it.

Emilee and I are flying to Las Vegas in the morning for a little vacation! It seems appropriate that I make my first trip to Vegas tomorrow since it is my parents' wedding anniversary tomorrow and they were married in Vegas 29 years ago! They must have one of the longest lasting marriages to come out of Las Vegas! Since I doubt I will be cooking in my hotel room, I probably won't blog until I come back in a few days.

It was hot here today. And sunny. I was only outside for a few minutes but I managed to sunburn my shoulders. Tonight I went for a nice swim and now I am sitting in my PJs, eating leftover apple crisp with ice cream and drinking a Corona. This may be the ideal was to spend a Friday evening! Well I should pack for my trip...

No comments: