Saturday, June 24, 2006

Grilled Beer-Marinated Chuck Steak and Onions (Page 435)

  • Date: Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 8pm
  • Location: Palo Alto, CA
  • Kitchen: Emilee and Brian's Apartment
  • Fellow Chefs: Brian and Emilee
  • Dining Companions: Stanford Mike, Kai-Mei, Bret, and Karen
  • Recipe Rating: A-
Em, Brian, and I picked this one. We figured, how can you go wrong with beef, marinated in beer, and grilled!?! It turns out we were right, this dish was very good. This recipe is made with chuck steak, which is a tasty but tough cut of meat. The overnight marinating really tenderized the meat though -- it wasn't tough at all. You could easily have mistaken it for a much more expensive cut of beef. The highlight of the dish was really the onions though. They too were marinated overnight in beer and then Brian grilled them to perfection. They were easily the highlight of the entire meal! Overall this was a really solid dish, and a great meal for a crowd.

This is recipe 150 in my project! I think when I get to 200 I will have a nice party to mark it! I am aiming to get to 200 by the end of the summer.

I don't know how many times I have been to the beach in Northern California, but certainly many times. Yet somehow, when we went to the beach in Santa Cruz yesterday, I had this idea that the air would be warm, and the water would be warm, and I would swim and lay in the sun. If I had thought about this carefully I would have remembered that last summer when we went to the beach in Santa Cruz we stopped for hot chocolate on the way home because we were so cold! Somehow I forgot this. It was a very cold beach day yesterday. The water was freezing -- the only people in it were a few surfers, most of them in wetsuits. Plus, it was overcast and about 65 degrees and windy. We still had a fun time, but I felt a little stupid (and cold!) for wearing a tank top and shorts. Plus, since it was so overcast I skipped the sunblock (I know, I know, not so smart) and got really sunburned. Apparently I was not on top of my game yesterday... Here are some pictures of Emilee and me wearing appropriate and inappropriate Northern California beach attire, respectively.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

omg teena your steaks look delicious