Friday, June 02, 2006

Fresh Apricot Upside-Down Cake (Page 718)

  • Date: Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 7pm
  • Location: Hartsville, SC
  • Kitchen: My Parents' House
  • Fellow Chef: Paul
  • Dining Companions: My Parents
  • Recipe Rating: A

South Carolina is famous for its peaches, and my dad picked some up the other day. I was looking for something to do with them and I decided to substitute peaches for the apricots in this recipe. I wanted to make this one while I was home since my mom has a big, old, cast-iron skillet, which I don't. This cake was fantastic! It was beautiful, and so wonderfully moist! The first time I made the topping I wasn't watching it too carefully and I burnt it. I almost burnt it the second time too, but it came out really nicely - a very deep caramely flavor! The best part though was the flavor and texture of the cake itself. The buttermilk and almond extract gave the cake a wonderful and tangy taste, and it was perfectly tender and moist. This was really an excellent dessert!

I started reading a book last night that I just couldn't put down. Vigleik got me "The Time Traveler's Wife" for my birthday a couple months ago and I brought it with me to SC. It's been a while since I have read anything that I liked enough to keep reading late at night instead of going to sleep. The book really hooked me though. Finally, after reading 250 pages I tore myself away to get some sleep. I had a little trouble falling asleep though (ok, I never really have trouble falling asleep, but I did lay awake for 10 minutes before drifting off which is practically unheard of for me). The book is this amazing love story. I find love stories to be simultaneously uplifting and a little depressing. No, depressing isn't the right word. Maybe they just make me feel a bit lonely. I have so many great people in my life that I always feel a bit silly when I feel lonely... After a few minutes of loneliness last night, I snapped out of it and fell asleep! I am looking forward to curling up with the book again today. In fact, I may do that right now!

No comments: