Saturday, June 10, 2006

Buttermilk Waffles (Page 652)

  • Date: Wednesday, June 7, 2006 - 6pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Recipe Rating: A-

On Wednesday night I was flipping through the book to find myself something for dinner, and I decided I wanted waffles! I felt a little self indulgent making a batch of waffles just for myself, especially since the recipe made 24 waffles, but it was worth it! These waffles were excellent. They came out crispy on the exterior, and nice and soft inside. The buttermilk gave them a wonderful tang. I put some butter and sugar on top and they were divine! Since I couldn't eat all 24 at once, I froze most of them. Today I pulled some out of the freezer for brunch and threw them in the toaster. They were still great! This recipe couldn't be simpler, and the waffles are just perfect.

Yesterday, for the first time, I started to really worry about the whole job application process looming in my not-so-distant future. I'm not really sure what brought on my sudden worrying. But I started thinking about it and immediately felt very panicky. It's just scary because jobs in math academia are hard to get. If I end up not getting an academic job it wouldn't be the end of the world (I could go to pastry school!) but I would still prefer to stay in academia... The whole process doesn't really start until the fall, and you don't find out what job offers you've gotten until the late winter, so really I shouldn't start worrying now! I remember when I applied to graduate school I was really worried about not getting in anywhere. It was silly, I guess, to worry about that, but at the time it felt like a very real concern to me. I remember sitting around in my apartment at Stanford one afternoon with my friend Josh, brainstorming about what I could do if I didn't get in to graduate school. He kept suggesting that I do something totally different. He suggested, for instance, that I should make furniture. I tried to tell him that wood shop in middle school was not my best subject, but he insisted I could learn! Maybe I should call him and ask what I should do if I don't get an academic job -- I'm sure he would have some great suggestions!

Despite the ever-present rain it has been a nice week-end so far. Alex had a dinner gathering last night with yummy Osso Buco. Then I had drinks with Elliot, an old college friend who was in town to see his younger brother graduate from Harvard. Tonight there was a fun gathering in honor of Bridget's graduation. Plus, I have done a lot of working from home, laying in my bed reading math papers -- one of my favorite activities when it rains!

No comments: