Thursday, June 15, 2006

Blackberry Cobbler (Page 815)

  • Date: Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 7:30pm
  • Location: Palo Alto, CA
  • Kitchen: Emilee and Brian's Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Emilee
  • Dining Companions: Brian and Chris
  • Recipe Rating: A-

We wanted something with fruit for dessert so Emilee and I chose this blackberry cobbler. It was quite good. We substituted frozen blackberries for fresh ones, and they held up really well and tasted great. We went with the low end on the range of sugar to add, and the cobbler came out nice and tart. The biscuit-like topping had a great flavor and was very moist. This dessert was a winner -- extremely simple to make and very satisfying. With some vanilla ice cream, it was perfect!

The thing I love about coming to California is that it doesn't feel like traveling. Maybe it's because I lived here for so long, or maybe it's because some of my closest friends live here, but coming to California always feels like coming home. Plus, when I am here I always stay with Emilee for part of the time, and with Chris for part of the time. Clearly I am a guest in both of their homes, but having lived with each of them before for long periods of time, I don't feel like I am imposing as much as I would with most people. I do feel a little guilty stealing a desk in the Stanford Math Department for a month when this isn't primarily a mathematical visit, but I do need a place to work every day.

I had this dream last night (or series of dreams?) that was just a bunch of vignettes of people that I trust and care about letting me down. It was really strange. None of the people in the scenes were malicious, they just disappointed me in various ways. For example, in one scene I was at my grandfather's birthday party in Wisconsin and a friend of mine was supposed to be meeting me there to meet my family. He didn't show up so I called his phone and he was in San Francisco, and was completely confused about what day it was. Apparently I hadn't seen this friend in a while and I was disappointed that he wasn't coming, and he was upset because apparently he had missed some important meeting in Boston since he had been confused about the day. We got in a big disagreement on the phone about whether it was Wednesday or Thursday today and then he flew to Boston. The thing that was odd about this dream though was that it was a group of people that has never really done anything to disappoint me, nor was I feeling let down by anybody last night when I went to bed. So I don't know what it means really. Very odd...

No comments: