Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Apple Crisp (Page 812)

  • Date: Thursday, June 15, 2006 - 9pm
  • Location: Palo Alto, CA
  • Apartment: Chris' Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Chris
  • Dining Companions: Robert and Soren
  • Recipe Rating: B-

I picked this recipe for dessert to go with the lasagne last week. I wasn't too impressed by it. The filling was pretty good, although maybe a touch too sweet. I didn't really like the topping though. For one thing, I checked the crisp after it had cooked for less than three quarters of the indicated time, and the nuts in the topping had already started to burn, while the filling was undercooked. Further, I didn't think the topping had great texture. I much prefer crisp toppings with oatmeal in them. The texture of this topping was pretty grainy, which was disppointing. As I ate this dessert I just kept thinking, "Well this isn't as good as my mother's recipe."

Emilee and I got back from our trip to Vegas this afternoon! We had such a fun time! We even managed to gamble a little without losing too much money. We computed that our net gambling loss, between the two of us, was around seven dollars. I don't feel so bad about having lost $3.50 a piece. It's a good thing Emilee was there though: it turns out she has more gambling skill than I do. This morning she won $25 from a 25 cent Keno game (caveman Keno to be exact, although I don't claim to understand exactly what the "caveman" part of it was). We promptly lost her winnings playing Pai Gow Poker though, the only game that we were brave enough to actually sit at the tables and play. When the dealer found out I was from MIT he asked me if I was going to cheat. I think after watching me play for a few minutes, he wasn't too worried!

We stayed at the MGM Grand, which was really nice, and HUGE! All the hotels there were just enormous. I think I knew that things would be big, but I just had no idea how big. We got lost several times within our hotel (not to mention when we ventured out of our hotel!). Everytime we got lost though we would find something new and exciting. We discovered that there was a lion habitat in our hotel. That was pretty cool. The lions, unlike most things in Vegas, were actually real! Here's a picture of me and Em in front of one of The Strip's many waterfalls...

More on Vegas in the next few entries...

No comments: