Saturday, June 24, 2006

Roasted Spiced Sweet Potatoes (Page 584)

  • Date: Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 8pm
  • Location: Palo Alto, CA
  • Kitchen: Emilee and Brian's Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Emilee
  • Dining Companions: Brian, Bret, Karen, Stanford Mike, and Kai-Mei
  • Recipe Rating: B
Emilee, Brian, and I picked out this recipe for our dinner party on Thursday. These sweet potatoes were unusual, but not in a bad way. This was another dish where there were really diverse opinions. I enjoyed eating them, but when I went to get seconds this wasn't the dish that I reached for. The spice combination was non-canonical: coriander, fennel seeds, oregano, and red pepper. It worked though. I'm not a huge fan of anisey flavors in general, but the fennel wasn't bad with the sweetness of the potatoes. This dish was interesting, but as someone at the table (I think Mike) pointed out, "There are so many better things you can do with a sweet potato."

Emilee and Brian came over to Chris' place last night and the four of us swam, drank beer, and ate pizza. I love summer evenings like that! Today we are going to head to Santa Cruz to go to the beach.

I am making slow but steady progress thinking about job applications: asking people for letters of reccomendation, thinking about where I want to apply and what sorts of pieces these applications have. The hard thing about being out in California is knowing that I would really like to come back to Stanford after I graduate, and that's a very unlikely option. My plan for the job application process was not to get my hopes up about anything. And I've managed to do that so far about everything except coming to Stanford. The thing is, there are several math departments where I think I would be extremely happy mathematically, including Stanford. But so much of my non-math life is here too. It's just so tempting. I love the department here. In addition to being a very strong department, it's a friendly department. And I think it's a good mathematical fit for me. But I also really want to be here when Em and Brian have their first child. And I want to make dinner with Chris, and visit Rachel and Eric in Davis. I want to see Bret and Karen's new house, and drink beer with Soren. I want to drive down to LA to visit my brother. It just seems scary to start over somewhere new when I already have a life here. I will probably end up starting over though, and I am trying to view that as an exciting change. I try to remember that I felt the same way when I left California after college, and although it was hard to leave everyone behind, I built a really great network of friends in Boston. The truth is, I think I would be happy in any of the places that would make sense for me mathematically. I just think I would be the most happy here!

No comments: