Friday, June 09, 2006

Panfried Tofu on Sesame Watercress with Soy Orange Dressing (Page 279)

  • Date: Monday, June 5, 2006 - 7pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Paul
  • Recipe Rating: A-

Paul picked this dish for his last meal in Boston on Monday night. It was extremely good. The tofu was perfectly fried and generously sauced. The sauce was simple but delicious - the sesame, soy, citrus combination really worked well and the consistency of the sauce was great. The bed of sesame watercress that the tofu sat on was also very nice. Overall a great tofu dish. One note: it took much longer than indicated to get the tofu properly fried. To get a nice golden brown, I had to panfry the tofu at least 20 minutes, rather than the 6-8 minutes indicated in the recipe. It turned out really wonderful though.

I have been in a not-great mood for the last 3 days or so. This afternoon I got back from tutoring and was feeling really crabby. I was sitting in my apartment, trying to understand why I was in such a bad mood, and I realized that I hadn't had a real meal since dinner on Tuesday, 3 days ago. Since then I have been really flaky about finding food to eat. Yesterday I had popcorn for dinner. The day before I made waffles and ate a couple waffles for dinner. Yesterday for lunch I had a few bite-sized cakes that they served after the hooding ceremony. Basically I have been eating food that is terrible for me, in not-large-enough quantities for 3 days! It's no wonder I was crabby. Upon thinking about this I immediately walked to Inman square and had a nice sit-down Thai meal by myself. Afterwards I came home and took a 45 minute nap. Now I am in a great mood!

I love eating in restaurants alone. It feels so indulgent. Since it was 2:30pm in the afternoon, I was actually the only person in the whole restaurant. I got the best service I've had in my life! It was just a very peaceful experience. I ate (a lot!) and read a math paper.

I think I have had this problem before in the summer where I don't think carefully about eating every meal. My mood is extremely hunger-dependent (I am sure many of you could comment on that!), so I am going to try to make an effort to eat for the rest of the summer. I love to eat, so that shouldn't really be so hard :)

1 comment:

paul said...

I won't comment on the hunger-dependentness of your moods (even though it's tempting). I just wanted to point out that I, too, had Thai food for lunch today at a Montien Thai here in Burleigh Heads. I saw the name and it made me a little homesick, so I decided I had to eat there. I am going to miss Boston!