Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Old-Fashioned Chocolate Pudding (Page 824)

  • Date: Thursday, June 1, 2006 - 2pm
  • Location: Hartsville, SC
  • Kitchen: My Parents' House
  • Dining Companion: My Mom
  • Recipe Rating: B-

I made this chocolate pudding last week, on my last day in Hartsville. I wasn't really excited about it. I thought the flavor was a little too chocolatey (if such a thing is possible!) and the texture wasn't as smooth and creamy as I would have liked. It was a little too gelatinous. My mom really liked the pudding though. I made 4 little dishes of it. I ate about a third of one and my mother ate the other 3 and two thirds over the next day. She suggested it would make a good filling for a fudge pie, which is quite possibly true. I think having a crust under it would be nice -- then there would be something to contrast with the intense chocolate flavor a bit. Overall I think I just prefer more of a chocolate pastry cream type pudding rather than this one.

Cooking at home made me really long for a big kitchen. I shouldn't complain really, my apartment has a relatively large kitchen. But at my parents' house they have a dishwasher, and tons of counter space, and huge cupboards, and a big table in the kitchen. I am jealous. I love cooking in a big kitchen. Chris' dad and stepmom live in the suburbs of Boston, and they have an enormous kitchen. Actually their house has 2 kitchens! The bigger of the 2 even has 2 ovens! And they have granite counter tops. It's so nice to cook there. Whenever I end up there I always volunteer to make dinner at least once! I don't really need a kitchen that glamorous, but a girl can dream! My mother's kitchen, although nice, is strangely equipped. She has some things even I don't have (e.g. an iced tea brewer), but the first night we cooked Paul asked her where the cutting boards were and she said, "Oh, I don't have a cutting board." What?!?! It turns out she did have one, she just didn't know it! We found it a couple days later, after cutting vegetables on a serving platter for 2 nights. She also doesn't have a food processor, although she has a good excuse. When I was 12 she cut off the top of her thumb cleaning the food processor. The funny thing was that she was only using it because she had been knicking herself with knives and my dad thought using the food processor would be safer.

Well, I am jealous, but on the other hand, it's nice to be cooking back in my own kitchen, where I have equipment that I like and I know where everything is!

No comments: