Friday, June 23, 2006

Green Bean Salad with Pumpkin Seed Dressing (Page 143)

  • Date: Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 8pm
  • Location: Palo Alto, CA
  • Kitchen: Emilee and Brian's Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Emilee
  • Dining Companions: Brian, Karen, Bret, Kai-Mei and Stanford Mike
  • Recipe Rating: B+

Emilee and I have been wanting to do something with green pumpkin seeds, so we chose this as a side dish for our dinner last night. It was met with extremely mixed reviews. Emilee, Bret, and I really liked this dish, and the rest of the table thought it was a bit gross. It was definitely over-dressed. We didn't even use all the dressing, but it was still too much. If I were going to make it again I would probably cut the dressing in half. The flavor of the dressing was very nice though. The ground pumpkin seeds gave some body to the dressing and contributed a great nutty flavor. I thought the dish was very tasty, and a little bit unusual. It seemed that many people thought it was just too weird though.

I have been wondering lately if people get more or less picky about food as they age? I have certainly outgrown almost all of my finickiness about food. But maybe that has less to do with age and more to do with the fact that I have learned more about food as I have gotten older. I think it is harder to dislike foods that you cook with and know about. Maybe that's just me... It's interesting to me to see what people will and will not eat though. Some friends of mine have aversions that I just don't understand (blue cheese, mayonaise, mustard, vinegar, etc...). Other friends will eat absolutely anything. I wonder how much that has to do with what you were fed as a child. Do you think that adventurous eaters are more often the product of parents who fed their children a wide variety of foods? I don't really understand why many parents feed their children a very limited, bland diet. If I have kids someday, as soon as they start eating solid food I will feed them whatever I eat. It doesn't seem obvious to me that children really have a different palate than adults do. I think kids just tend to like what they are used to. If they are used to eating a wide variety of things, probably they will like a wide variety of things. Well, I guess I will have to wait and see...

No comments: