Puffed Apple Pancake (Page 649)
- Date: Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 7pm
- Location: Hartsville, SC
- Kitchen: My Parents' House
- Fellow Chef: My Mom
- Dining Companion: My Dad
- Recipe Rating: B+
My mom has been eyeing this recipe since she got The Book, so she wanted to mak
e it together. It was quite good. The pancake came out nice and custardy. The cooked apples had a lot of flavor and were perfectly tender. I would have prefered if the custard-like base had a bit more flavor to it. It was slightly bland. The pancake was still very good though. We ate it with sausage for dinner, and it made a nice meal. I was skeptical about eating pancake for dinner, but it wasn't too sweet, so it worked out well. It would also be great, of course, as a breakfast or brunch dish.I made it safely back to Boston this evening. When I got off the plane it was 54 degrees and raining. I was dressed for 95 degrees and sunshine so I had to do a quick change of clothes at the airport before venturing out!
While waiting for my flight in Charlotte, I finished reading "The Time Traveler's Wife," in the terminal. I cried my way through the last 40 pages of the book. Books don't usually make me cry. Sad movies do sometimes, but it's a very rare book that I react to so strongly. I was too involved in the book to get up and get a tissue, so there were tears running down my face and I was sniffling. I'm sure people though I was crazy! Crying in front of complete strangers is a little embarassing of course, but it's also interesting to see how people react. I could tell that people weren't sure if I was upset about my book, or upset about something else. In the south, people are much more likely to try to help a complete stranger than they are in Boston, and I could see that a couple of women were trying to figure out if they should ask me if I needed anything. Everyone just let me be though, and when I finished my book I went to the bathroom and dried my eyes before my flight.

No comments:
Post a Comment