Thursday, June 01, 2006

Charred Tomatillo Guacamole (Page 10)

  • Date: Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 7pm
  • Location: Hartsville, SC
  • Kitchen: My Parents' House
  • Fellow Chef: Paul
  • Dining Companions: My Parents
  • Recipe Rating: A-

My mom made chicken fajitas on Tuesday night for dinner, so Paul and I made this guacamole to go with them. I had never made guacamole before that had tomatillos in it. It was extremely good, which was amazing because the only avocados we could find were borderline rotten and we had to use dried cilantro instead of fresh because fresh cilantro couldn't be found at the grocery store here. With proper ingredients, this guacamole would no doubt be fantastic! My mother had never seen a tomatillo before, and seemed a little bit skeptical, but she too loved this recipe. Usually I just make guacamole by mashing up some avocado with salt and lime juice, so this was a wonderful change, with a very unique flavor.

This is my last full day in Hartsville. I am flying out of Charlotte on Saturday so tomorrow we are going to drive up there and do a little shopping, maybe see a movie, and stay over night. It's good timing because I am about ready to leave Hartsville. There's essentially nothing to do here, but still I am not managing to be very productive workwise. I'm trying to cut myself some slack -- it was a long semester. A few days of rest are probably good for me! But I think part of being a graduate student is feeling guilty when you aren't particularly productive. For some reason the heat here also makes me feel lazy. When it's 95 degrees outside I don't really feel like going running, or even venturing out of the house. I have been getting up early so my mom and I can go run errands and things before the heat really sets in. My parents have a big screened-in porch in their back yard which is a really nice place to sit around 8am, when the sun is shining, but it's not yet overwhelmingly hot outside.

1 comment:

Mike Hill said...

You work too much anyway!