Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Apple Raisin Cake (Page 704)

  • Date: Saturday, July 1, 2006 - 3pm
  • Location: Palo Alto, CA
  • Kitchen: Emilee and Brian's Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Emilee, Brian, Nathan, and Anh
  • Recipe Rating: B+

I wanted to make a cake for Emilee and Brian to have when they returned from Oregon. I picked this one because it keeps well and I knew it would be a few days before it got eaten. Opinions were a little bit mixed on this recipe. I liked it quite a lot actually, but Emilee and Brian weren't so taken with it. I think I am so partial to cakes that are moist, that when a cake comes out beautifully moist like this one did, it's hard for me not to like it! I thought the flavor was quite good -- the spices came through without being overpowering. Emilee commented that walnuts would have been a good addition, and I think she's right about that. This cake is perfect for snacking or breakfast, in addition to being a nice dessert.

Brian's mom made a rhubarb pie and black-bottomed cupcakes for Emilee and Brian to bring back with them from Oregon, and I had made them an apple cake, so last night Em and Brian invited me, Nathan, and Anh over for multiple courses of dessert! They also picked 30 pounds of blueberries and 30 pounds of cherries while they were away, and brought them back in huge coolers. So, before we even started in on the desserts, we had pretty much made ourselves sick on berries! We still made room for dessert though. Brian's mom is a really good cook, and Brian has been telling me for years how perfect her pies are. I had some of her rhubarb pie last night, and he was right, it was really good!

After our feast of desserts we met up with Soren and watched the Stanford 4th of July fireworks, which for some reason are on the 3rd of July. Now it's true that fireworks are not really my favorite thing, but the Stanford fireworks are pretty fun and low-key. We laid out some blankets on the oval, ate even more cherries and blueberries, and watched the fireworks!

No comments: