Monday, July 24, 2006

Raspberry Ice Cream (Page 854)

  • Date: Monday, July 24, 2006 - 9pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Mike, Vigleik, Shihchi, Craig, Matt, Ricky, Alex, Lauren, Patrick, Marco, John, Izzet, Jacob, and Peter
  • Recipe Rating: A-

I chose this ice cream because I am having some people over for dinner tomorrow night and I thought this might make a nice, refreshing addition to the meal. The recipe is quite good. The texture of the ice cream is wonderful: very light and creamy. The raspberry flavor comes through nicely and the ice cream is neither too tart nor too sweet. I was skeptical of the method in this recipe (adding cornstarch to the custard and bringing it to a boil) because it is not what I would usually do. But apparently it works because this ice cream is very tasty!

I have been wondering lately whether or not being fun is an important quality in a partner. It seems like it should be, yet I have been in several great relationships with guys that I definitely would not have described as "fun." I don't mean that I didn't have fun with those people, but rather that they tended to be more serious. When I was in Germany I spent some time hanging out with a mathematician that I have had a school-girl type crush on since I met him at another conference two years ago. I got to thinking one day about what it is that I like about him. All the usual stuff: he's smart, and really cute, etc... but in addition to all that, he makes me laugh. He makes fun of me, and doesn't seem to mind being teased in return. And when I talk to him, even about serious things, his approach feels light-hearted without being dismissive. It's a nice set of qualities. It's moot: this is the sort of crush that is more hopeless than realistic. I'm sure it would never even occur to him to pursue anything with me. But it's still interesting for me to note how appealing I find his combination of intelligence and humor. Maybe having a partner that is fun is more important to me than I thought...

No comments: