Saturday, July 15, 2006

Sesame Spinach with Ginger and Garlic (Page 578)

  • Date: Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 8pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Fellow Chefs: Shihchi, Mike, and Vigleik
  • Dining Companion: Marco
  • Recipe Rating: C-

Mike picked out this recipe because he likes cooked spinach. Even he agreed though that this recipe was bad. The combination of ingredients seemed promising: garlic, ginger, sesame, and spinach. However, together they just had a really bad flavor. Everyone described the unpleasantness differently but Mike and Vigleik thought it tasted fishy. I didn't necessarily get a fishy taste from it but I do agree that it was not good. Mike was so disappointed!

I am leaving this afternoon for Oberwolfach. For those non-mathematicians out there: Oberwolfach is a little village in the Black Forest in Germany where there is a math institute that holds conferences. I have been there once before, and it was a fun experience. For a week you live at the institute with about 50 other mathematicians. It's a good way to meet people, especially because seating for lunch and dinner is assigned and changes at every meal. I do find meeting mathematicians I don't know to be a little stressful though. Plus, as we all know, I find flying a bit stressful too. So, I am a little stressed today! The one other strange thing about conferences at this place is that they don't select most of the speakers until you get there. Which means that I don't know right now whether or not I have to give a talk this week!

Well I clearly won't be cooking this week. I wish I could -- the food at Oberwolfach can be interesting sometimes... Veronique and Marco both have a lot to say on that issue! Mmmm.... carrots in milk! I do have a little blogging to catch up on though, so I will likely post a few times from Germany.

Happy Birthday to Alex, whose birthday is today, and my mom, whose birthday is tomorrow!

No comments: