Friday, July 28, 2006

Penne with Broccoli Rabe (Page 206)

  • Date: Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 7pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Alex, Mike, Vigleik, Shihchi, Craig, Izzet, Jacob, Lauren, Ricky, Matt, Patrick, Peter, Marco, and Jnkf
  • Recipe Rating: B

I picked this pasta dish as a vegetarian option for the Pasta Dinner on Tuesday. It was ok. Opinions varied, but several people thought it was quite good. I am not a huge fan of bitter greens, so that was my main complaint, although that is really a personal bias. The dish did suffer from the flaw though that the greens clumped together in the pasta. The flavor of the pasta itself was quite nice. The red pepper was very subtle, but gave it a little kick, and the garlic and cheese flavors came through nicely. Overall it was a decent pasta dish that was quite easy and quick to make.

When Paul and I were dating we got in the habit of making big dinners on Friday nights. I really enjoy ending the week by spending time in the kitchen with people that I care about, cooking together. Even though Paul has moved away, I plan to continue the Friday night dinner tradition. To that end, tonight Mike, Marco, Vigleik, and Shihchi came over and we made a big, yummy dinner together.

After traveling so much at the beginning of the summer, it was nice to have a whole week back in Boston this week. It gave me a chance to really spend some time with the people that I care about here. Plus, there is always something so nice about being home after you've been away for a while. Being away helps me remember all the great day-to-day things that I don't normally think to appreciate: having a comfy bed to sleep in, my wonderful office at MIT, my well-stocked pantry, driving around in my own car, etc... Basically what I am saying is: it's good to be home!

No comments: