Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Roasted RhubarbTarts with Strawberry Sauce (Page 785)

  • Date: Monday, July 10, 2006 - 8pm
  • Location: Palo Alto, CA
  • Kitchen: Chris' Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Emilee, Brian, and Chris
  • Recipe Rating: B+

I chose this recipe for dessert my last night in California to try to redeem rhubarb after our rhubarb disaster the night before! This dessert was really good. How can you go wrong with puff pastry, filled with creme fraiche, then topped with roasted rhubarb and strawberry sauce?!? The recipe called for frozen puff pastry, which I have always heard good things about but had never used. The pastry was quite good though. I slightly prefer the homemade version (which may be just because I really enjoy making it!) but the frozen pastry is an excellent alternative. Since the pastry wasn't homemade, this dish was very quick to put together. Roasting the rhubarb really brought out its sweetness in a nice way, and the strawberry sauce was very tasty. Overall, this is a great quick dessert. I think Brian liked it -- I got a lovely photo of him licking his plate:

I didn't sleep well last night (jet lag I guess) but I still woke up excited to go in to the office today. I realized as I walked in to the math building that I missed MIT very much in the past month. While Stanford really feels like home in a lot of ways, I can't imagine any math department that could feel like more of a mathematical home to me than MIT. I had a really nice day: lunch with Mike, V, and Haynes at Anna's, and a long chat with Haynes in the afternoon.

One thing that is odd about being back is suddenly having so much time alone. In California I rarely spend much time by myself -- there are so many people I want to spend a lot of time with during my short visits there. I like spending time alone, but I just need to adjust to it again...

Time to go pick up Marco for dinner...

No comments: