Monday, July 10, 2006

Summer Fruit Salad with Mint Sugar (Page 167)

  • Date: Sunday, July 9, 2006 - 6pm
  • Location: Palo Alto, CA
  • Kitchen: Emilee and Brian's Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Emilee
  • Dining Companions: Brian and Chris
  • Recipe Rating: B
We picked this salad to go with dinner last night because Emilee and Brian still had many pounds of cherries left from their trip to Oregon, and this recipe uses a lot of cherries! The salad was ok. We ate it as a side dish with dinner, but everyone agreed that it was much too sweet for that purpose. It would have been much more appropriate as a dessert. This salad wasn't anything amazing, but the flavors were clean and the dish was quite attractive. Plus, I managed to cover myself (and much of the kitchen) with cherry juice when I was using the cherry pitter, which was entertaining! I wouldn't make this dish again, but I certainly didn't dislike it.

Today was my last day in California and I just felt sick. I laid in bed for most of the day, bundled under lots of comforters. I am feeling significantly better now, and it is my hope that I will feel fine before I have to get on the plane tomorrow. Chris suggested early in the day that perhaps my sunburn was making me sick. That immediately seemed completely ridiculous to me, but I did a little internet investigation and apparently it is true that when you get a sunburn over a large surface area, it can really make you sick (well, at least the internet thinks this is true). Who knew?!? I had planned to make dinner for Emilee and Brian tonight, but I was having trouble getting out of bed to go to the grocery store, so I just made dessert and we ordered pizza! The nice thing about hanging out with Emilee and Brian is that it's always fun no matter what we do, or what we eat.

I'm always sad to leave California, although there are certain advantages to going back to Boston (e.g. sleeping in a real bed for the first time in weeks!). Plus I miss MIT of course and I really miss my Boston friends! My summer of travel isn't over yet though. I am off to Germany on Saturday for a week. And in a month I will be back in California for Bret's wedding. All that traveling makes me a little tired just thinking about it! I should go to sleep...

No comments: