Saturday, July 29, 2006

Quick Dilled Cucumber Pickles (Page 908)

  • Date: Friday, July 28, 2006 - 8pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Mike
  • Dining Companions: Marco, Vigleik, and Shihchi
  • Recipe Rating: B+

Mike picked this recipe because he was intruiged by the idea of pickles that can be made in 30 minutes. These pickles were really strange, although not necessarily in a bad way. Mike had a theory that this is what pickles were like before people knew how to pickle. He referred to them as the "proto-pickles." I'm not so sure about that, but they were definitely different. I expected to hate them, but actually thought they were pretty good. The horseradish and dry mustard contributed a nice kick (Mike was worried that this "kick" was actually poison, but that's another story). Opinions ranged: Vigleik really liked them, Shihchi really didn't. I think it's a pretty good, unique recipe, and a quick alternative to actually pickling the pickles. They would probably be good with some really good bread and sliced beef.

I went to the gym to run and lift a few weights today, and as I was about to leave, I ran in to Marco who was just arriving. Somehow he talked me in to doing his whole weight training regime with him. I can already tell that I am going to be horribly sore tomorrow. It was comforting though to lift weights with Marco. I have been worried that after Mike moves away there will be no one to kick my ass into shape in the gym. Marco was impressively forceful though! His tactics were slightly different than Mike's: Marco: "Come on, you can do one more!", Mike: "Come on Fatty, do a few more." Although Mike's favorite nickname for me is I think (I hope!) in jest, it does motivate me! Marco's less abrasive strategy seemed to work too though. Plus, Marco wouldn't even let me out of doing sit-ups, which Mike always allows me to exempt myself from! Apparently I am not going to get totallly out of shape this year after all!

No comments: