Thursday, July 13, 2006

Jasmine Rice with Cilantro and Peanuts (Page 254)

  • Date: Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 8pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Fellow Chefs: Mike, Vigleik, and Shihchi
  • Dining Companion: Marco
  • Recipe Rating: B+

Mike and I picked this rice to go with our dinner tonight. It was quite good. I thought the flavor combination of the rice, cilantro, peanuts, and lime was very nice. There was a little too much rice vinegar for my taste though -- the vinegar flavor really dominated the other flavors. This made a very quick, satisfying side dish that would go well with a wide variety of entrees.

It was nice to cook in my own kitchen again for the first time in more than a month. I like knowing exactly what equipment is available and where it is. Someday when I own a home, I hope to have a really nice kitchen. Of course I want lots of storage and work space, but more than that I want the kind of kitchen that can hold a lot of people. Tonight when Mike, Vigleik, Shihchi, Marco, and I were all in the kitchen cooking together, I was reminded how much I really like cooking with big groups of friends. It's a totally different experience than cooking alone, or cooking with one other person. And while cooking alone is something I really enjoy, cooking with a big group is so energizing. I was realizing that one thing I really like about being in California is that I spend a lot of time just hanging out in the kitchen with Emilee and Brian, cooking. We sometimes have entire weekend afternoons where we just cook, talk, and eat fudge pops. I really like that. I wish there was more of that in my life here. I think not so many of my friends in Cambridge would think that an afternoon cooking sounds fun, but still I would like to make an attempt to cook more with everyone, even if it's just throwing together a quick meal. I think it's a nice thing to create something together with your friends. I always love sitting down to a meal that lots of people have contributed to.

2 comments:

Miss C said...

Interesting...I made this last night, and since my dinner date dislikes vinegar, I used half of the called for rice vinegar, and it was still almost too much. Otherwise, though, we loved it.

Teena said...

Indeed the vinegar was too much in this recipe. Maybe it needs to be cut down to one-quarter of the amount called for!