Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Rhubarb Anise Upside-Down Cake (Page 717)

  • Date: Sunday, July 9, 2006 - 7pm
  • Location: Palo Alto, CA
  • Kitchen: Emilee and Brian's Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Emilee
  • Dining Companions: Brian and Chris
  • Recipe Rating: C-

I suggested this dessert for dinner with Emilee and Brian on Sunday because anise is one flavor that really makes my stomach turn, but Brian really likes it. So, I figured it would be best to make this recipe with him around so there would be someone to enjoy the leftovers. This cake was really terrible. Surprisingly though, it was not the anise that made it bad. The complaints about it were extensive, so I will just list some: it was really unattractive, the topping was too tart, the cake was too sweet, the texture of the topping was gross, and there was a layer of very unappealing wet, slimy cake between the topping and the rest of the cake. It just didn't taste good. I left more than half my slice on my plate, and I like cake a lot! Emilee, Chris, and I all hated it. Brian maintained that it was good (he gave it a B+) but I think he was just blinded in this case by his deep love of both rhubarb and anise. Do yourself a favor, and don't make this cake!

I'm back in Somerville now, sitting on my comfy bed as I write this. I am happy to be home, but yet when my plane took off this morning I just felt overwhelmed with heartache. I didn't grow up there, but Northern California feels more like home than anywhere else I have ever been. And Emilee, Brian, and Chris, are all like family to me. When I go back there for these long trips, it's really hard to leave. The other night Emilee, Brian, Chris, and I were all laying on the floor after dinner, too full to move, and we were flipping through The Book looking at recipes. As I was reading the names of recipes that sounded good Brian would say something to the effect of, "Oh, you can't make that one without us," each time. And I just kept thinking how I wish they could be there for every recipe. I don't mean to complain about being back in Boston. I missed everyone here a lot and it's good to be back! I just think that even after all these years, I haven't really adjusted to daily life without Em and Brian.

On another note, I was so calm on the plane today that I was able to both sleep and work during the flight, two things that I have never done before!

No comments: