Monday, July 31, 2006

Herbed Quinoa (Page 263)

  • Date: Friday, July 28, 2006 - 8pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Fellow Chefs: Mike and Marco
  • Dining Companions: Vigleik and Shihchi
  • Recipe Rating: A-

Mike and I picked this recipe because we both love quinoa and thought it would go well with the fish that we had as the main course. This recipe was excellent. The quinoa came out very fluffy and perfectly cooked. The herby flavor of the dish came through nicely without being overwhelming. Everyone agreed that it was an excellent alternative to rice. If any of you have never had quinoa, I highly recommend trying it. It is a very healthy, tasty grain that is easy to cook!

I had dinner tonight at Izzet's house. I had almost forgotten how relaxing dinner parties are when you aren't the one cooking! It was great!

Sometimes I will have a moment that isn't really spectacular in any way, but will really stick with me. A few weeks ago I was standing outside in the rain, under an overhang, watching a taxi pull away with someone inside that I didn't really want to be leaving. I felt a little bit heartbroken in that moment -- sad, but in a sweet way. It didn't seem, at the time, like a moment that would necessarily stick with me. But I keep thinking about it. I'm not really sure why, or what that means. That moment was simultaneously perfect and tragic. Maybe I keep playing it over and over to figure out which way to read it. Or maybe I just like that slightly heartbroken feeling -- the feeling that although things can't be the way I would like them to be, there is nothing I could have done about it. And at the same time, the feeling that possibilities, however unlikely, still exist.

No comments: