Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Snow Peas with Lemon Herb Butter (Page 557)

  • Date: Saturday, July 1, 2006 - 8pm
  • Location: Palo Alto, CA
  • Kitchen: Chris' Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Chris
  • Dining Companion: Soren
  • Recipe Rating: B-
I picked these snow peas on Saturday because I thought they would go well with the main course. I really didn't like them too much though. Mainly it was the combination of peas and tarragon that I found unconvincing. In addition to not complementing the peas well, the tarragon really overpowered the other flavors in the dish. The lemon flavor, for instance, was completely lost. The dish certainly didn't taste bad, but there are so many better and more interesting things that you could do with snow peas.

I had a nice, mellow, 4th of July today. Emilee and I had a low-key afternoon of running errands, cooking, and eating popsicles and Velveeta Shells and Cheese (a new experience for me!). To celebrate the 4th, we made a fun, classic American dinner (from The Book of course!) : steak, potatoes, and coleslaw! Brian made some cherry ice cream for dessert to finish off our meal.

I woke up in a really bad mood today, for a variety of reasons. Spending time with Emilee and Brian though, I just had a great day. It really speaks to the power of strong friendships that even very difficult situations can be tempered by great friends. Part of what I loved so much about living with Emilee in college is that she has an amazing way of making bad circumstances seem less bad in a way that is neither dismissive, nor trite. It's a really lovely quality.

No comments: