Saturday, July 29, 2006

Lamb and Eggplant Pastitsio (Page 227)

  • Date: Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 7pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Alex, Izzet, Marco, Mike, Vigleik, Shihchi, Craig, Ricky, Matt, Lauren, Jnkf, Patrick, and Peter
  • Recipe Rating: B

In all honesty, I picked this recipe for the pasta dinner on Tuesday because I thought I wouldn't like it too much, hence it would be better to make when there were a lot of other people around to eat it! As it turned out, I liked it more than most people. Almost everyone who tried this dish gave it a grade in the B-range. No one hated it, but no one really loved it either. Mike thought the flavor was a little bland. Alex thought the cinnamon and clove spicing made it almost cloying. I thought it was unusual, but enjoyable. I liked the cinnamon, but I do agree with Mike that the dish could have had even more flavor. For instance, the feta didn't really come through at all, which surprised me. I liked it though. I froze the leftovers and have been eating it for lunch all week!

Today is Emilee's birthday -- Happy Birthday Em! This is the the 4th year in a row that I am 3000 miles away on her birthday. It seems so sad to me that I can't throw her a birthday party, or made her a birthday cake... While I was in Germany I read the book "Prep." There was a passage describing when the narrator met her best friend, Martha. I thought it was quite nice and it reminded me of Em, so I will (possibly illegally!) reproduce it here:

"From then on, I would never be alone. Martha and I would get along, our friendship would last. I felt certainty and relief. Years later, I heard a minister at a wedding describe marriage as cutting sorrow in half and doubling joy, and what I thought of was not the guy I was seeing then, nor even of some perfect, imaginary husband I might meet later; I thought immediately of Martha."

I feel blessed, of course, to have a friend that I can unflinchingly tell everything to -- someone who knows me so well that nothing needs explanation and whose opinion I value so deeply. So much of who I am today grew out of the years of living with Emilee and learning from her. My first year at MIT I would come back to my apartment at the end of each day, and be surprised and sad that Emilee wasn't there to talk to. I remember thinking then that it would get easier, that in time I would get used to her not being here. Four years later, I can honestly say that that never happened. I built a life for myself here, with great friends, but I never stopped feeling her absence. Happy Birthday Em! I miss you!

1 comment:

Emilee said...

Maybe it's just that I'm post-call, but you just made me cry! I miss you too.