Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Jicama and Cucumber Chile Spears (Page 27)

  • Date: Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 7pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Mike, Vigleik, Shihchi, Alex, Craig, Izzet, Marco, Jnkf, Ricky, Matt, Lauren, Peter, Patrick, and Jacob
  • Recipe Rating: C

I picked this recipe for our potluck dinner Tuesday because it seemed weather appropriate. When it's very hot outside, jicama is always nice and refreshing. That proved to be the recipe's only redeeming quality though. This dish didn't taste bad necessarily, but it just didn't come together at all. I would have much rather eaten plain jicama than this chili-lime and cucumber version. The flavor combination felt very forced and wasn't particularly pleasing. Almost everyone commented that the jicama was "fine" but very few people wanted to eat more of it.

Alex made a cool index of the recipes in the blog. Check it out here: http://alexhealy.net/cgi-bin/gourmetProject/blog.py

Last night I had what may have been the most horrifying dream I have ever had. As it got worse and worse, it finally woke me up. But it was so incomprehensibly awful that I forced myself to go back to sleep and re-enter the dream in hopes that there would be some sort of explanation or resolution. Finally when I woke up the 3rd time I accepted that there wasn't going to be a satisfying ending and I got out of bed.

This afternoon, still haunted by the dream, I began to wonder why I kept going back to sleep. In retrospect it seemed unnecessary and unhelpful to put myself through that. It's a natural tendency for me though to keep trying to resolve a bad situation, even after multiple failed attempts. I do need to learn to just let go sometimes...

No comments: