Monday, July 10, 2006

Grilled Korean-Style Steak with Spicy Cilantro Sauce (Page 435)

  • Date: Tuesday, July 4th, 2006 - 7pm
  • Location: Palo Alto, CA
  • Kitchen: Emilee and Brian's Apartment
  • Fellow Chefs: Emilee and Brian
  • Dining Companion: Chris
  • Recipe Rating: A-

We chose this as our 4th of July steak. I am always so delighted to make the grilled recipes in the book when I find myself at someone's place who has a grill, so I wholeheartedly supported this choice. One goal for my next move (in a year) is to go someplace where I can have a grill. Anyway, this steak was excellent. The flavors of the marinade really permeated the steak and gave it a great flavor. Brian grilled it perfectly so it was a little carmelized on the outside, but wonderfully pink in the middle. The only complaint that we had was that the spicy cilantro sauce was too oily. Aside from that, the sauce really complemented the dish. Cutting the amount of oil in half though would have been a huge improvement.

So it sounds like Jessie isn't going to move out any more, which means I don't have to find a new roommate! I am so excited! I think it can be really hard to find people that you can live with comfortably, and Jessie and I do pretty well. When she told me I was just so relieved. The idea of living with a stranger, and moreover having to find a stranger to live with, was really stressing me out.

Yesterday Em and I hiked up to The Dish, and I have the sunburn to prove it! Then, after eating enough cheese and chocolate samples at Whole Foods to make ourselves sick, we made a really not-so-tasty dinner (more on that when I get to those recipes). We had a good time cooking though, even if the food wasn't stellar. I am flying back to Boston tomorrow (Tuesday), but I am coming back to California in a month for Bret and Karen's wedding. Emilee, Brian, and I are already picking recipes that we're going to make when I'm back in August! Emilee thinks we should brave the Poached Salmon in Aspic together, but I am not so convinced.

No comments: