Saturday, July 01, 2006

Peas with Spinach and Shallots (Page 555)

  • Date: Friday, June 30, 2006 - 7:30pm
  • Location: Palo Alto, CA
  • Kitchen: Chris' Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Chris
  • Recipe Rating :A-

I chose this one as a side dish for our dinner last night. It was quite good. If I was going to make a pea dish in the future, this is the one I would make. Although there was only a tablespoon of butter in the dish, it had a really good richness and mouthfeel. The peas, shallots, and spinach complemented one another perfectly. And while Chris thought it should have called for more spinach, I found the ratio of ingredients quite good. My only complaint: it was too salty. Were I to make it again, I would definitely season by tasting rather than using their indicated quantity of salt.

I worked such long hours this week that until last night I hadn't cooked a meal all week! I did learn a lot I didn't know about where to eat on or around campus though. Soren took me to the faculty club for dinner one night -- in all my time at Stanford I don't think I had ever been there. And I feel like I have now thoroughly sampled all the lunch options (yes, that's right -- I did eventually get sick of eating at the Thai Cafe every day!). Yesterday though, since it was Friday afternoon of a very long week, I decided to leave work around 4:30pm, rest for a couple hours, and make some dinner. It was so nice to be in the kitchen again.

I don't really know what to say about this week. It was bad, in a lot of different ways. But sitting here on a sunny Saturday morning, still in my pajamas at 9:30am, eating candy for breafast, I feel optimistic. I am sure that everything will be fine. That's a good feeling.

When Emilee and I were laying on the beach last Saturday I remember claiming that I don't eat emotionally. And it's true that I don't eat for emotional reasons when I am not hungry. I did realize this week though that while emotion may not affect my decision whether or not to eat, it certainly affects what I eat. At several particularly low moments this week, I found myself sitting at my desk, eating Doritos. Under normal circumstances, I don't particularly enjoy Doritos. But somehow, in those moments, they were the only thing that sounded good. Strange! I think I ate more junk food this week than in the previous month combined. There were a couple days when I suspect that half my calories came from candy and ice cream. Whoops...

No comments: