Thursday, February 02, 2006

All-Butter Pastry Dough (Page 776)

  • Date: Wednesday, February 1, 2006 - 8pm
  • Location: Palo Alto, CA
  • Kitchen: Chris' Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Emilee, Brian, Soren, and Chris
  • Recipe Rating: A-

What can I say about this really? This crust has 2 sticks of butter in it: how could it be bad?!? This recipe is essentially a version of pate brisee, but with a very small amount of sugar added. It was easy to make, easy to work with, and came out very flaky and golden with good buttery flavor! It worked very well in the galette - even the bottom crust didn't really get soggy from the juices of the apples. It would make an excellent pie crust, and my guess is that it will be called for in many more of the tarts and pies in this book!

This month really flew by -- I can't believe I am going back to Boston in 2 days! MIT starts up this coming week. We have registration day on Monday and then classes start Tuesday. I don't have to teach for my funding, but I am TAing a section of Differential Equations anyway, which I am really looking forward to. I love teaching. Plus, Haynes (who is this fantastic prof at MIT) is lecturing for the class, so it should be really fun to work with him. I'm also traveling quite a bit in February: first to Chicago to give some talks and then to New Hampshire for a conference. Sadly, I am not going anywhere warm! I have to say, after being here for a month I am really not at all looking forward to returning to Boston weather!

No comments: