Thursday, February 02, 2006

Apple and Calvados Galette (Page 775)

  • Date: Wednesday, February 1, 2006 - 8pm
  • Location: Palo Alto, CA
  • Kitchen: Chris' Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Emilee, Brian, Soren, and Chris
  • Recipe Rating: B+

This galette was quite tasty. The Calvados cream was very boozy, but
not too sweet, so it balanced the sweetness of the rest of the dessert
well. Brian is intellectually opposed to galettes (a galette is just a "half-ass pie," according to Brian) yet he still agreed that for a galette, this was pretty good. The only opposition to it came from Chris, who just couldn't get excited about it. Personally, I thought it was not bad. Brian pointed out that the crust to filling ratio (which is sometimes a problem with galettes) was good in this recipe. It was also nice to have both the Calvados applesauce filling and also sliced apples in the filling. When you were eating it, it was almost unnoticeable that there were two separate layers of filling, but the textural effect was really nice. The crust was quite good (see below). All in all, I was happy with how it came out.

Peter suggested I explain why I picked the book that I did for this project. Partly it was out of loyalty -- I love Gourmet Magazine, and I adore the editor, Ruth Reichl (she has written 3 really fun, really fantastic memoirs). But the real reason was two-fold. One, this book has a very diverse collection of recipes. There is no single ethnic cooking style represented, nor a single type of dish. I have essentially spent the last year or two specializing in desserts. In this project I wanted to get away from specialization, and really make a wide variety of things. The second reason, and maybe the bigger one, was that this book has recipes for a lot of things that I have never made, yet I think might taste good. That seems really simplistic, but it's a delicate balance. Many, many cookbooks are filled with things that are trivial to make. Even if you haven't already made them, you know how just from the title of the recipe. Such a cookbook would make a boring, boring project. But many cookbooks that require more actual technique and different methods are for genres of food that I don't want to eat every day for a few years. For instance, classic French cooking is very demanding, and very intricate, but is also very heavy and very, very cream-intense. It's great once and while but I couldn't eat it every day. This book is full of things that are interesting to make, many of which I have never made before and that's why I chose it.

No comments: