Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Green Beans with Almonds (Page 522 )

  • Monday, February 27, 2006 - 7pm
  • Location: North Conway, NH
  • Kitchen: The "Talbot" House Kitchen
  • Sous Chefs: Allegra, Vesta, Chris, Scott, and Vigleik
  • Dining Companions: Andre, Mike, Jacob, John, Vero, and 17 other Mathematicians!
  • Recipe Rating: A-

I am at the Talbot workshop now and cooking dinner for 23 people each night. Fortunately, I had some great helpers for this meal! My companions in the van on the drive up here Sunday helped me choose these green beans. These beans were really quite good. I especially liked the effect of grinding the almonds rather than adding slivered or whole almonds to the beans. We bought every green bean they had at the grocery store, and we ate them all, so everyone else must have liked the recipe as well! Other fine things about this recipe: the beans were perfectly crisp-tender, the almonds added great crunch, and it was easy to make in huge quantities (which is very important this week!).

Talbot has been fun so far. These green beans were part of last night's meal. The first night we had Pasta Arrabbiata, Emilee's mother-in-law's salad, and fig, prosciutto, and goat cheese sandwiches, with molten chocolate cake with raspberry sauce for dessert. Last night we had pork tenderloin, lentil stew, and these green beans with strawberry budini for dessert. Tonight we had macaroni and cheese, minestrone, and carrot slaw, with blueberry pudding cake with raspberry pastry cream for dessert.

I gave my talk this morning (just an introduction to Waldhausen's A-Theory). It's nice to be done with that! Now I can relax a bit more. Not that much relaxing is possible with this schedule. Between 5 or so talks per day, cooking for everyone, and sitting in the hottub, my days are pretty full! It's fun though - I have no complaints!

No comments: