Thursday, February 23, 2006

Foolproof Long-Grain Rice (Page 254)

  • Date: Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 8pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Andre and Josh
  • Recipe Rating: A-

The chicken recipe (above) suggested that it be served over rice, so I decided to make this. I felt a little silly making white rice from a recipe in a cookbook, but actually this rice did come out really well! I usually just add rice to boiling water, turn down the heat and cover for 20 minutes. Instead, this recipe had first a stage of boiling the rice uncovered, then a stage of steaming it, then a stage of resting. It came out really nice. If you like rice that it not at all sticky, this seems to be a really good method.

Last night, after I flew back from Chicago, I went back to the airport to pick up Andre! Andre was a graduate student at MIT but he graduated last spring and moved to Germany. We all miss him so much! He's in town now for the Talbot workshop, and he's staying with me until we leave for New Hampshire on Sunday. It's so fun to see him again! Add to that the fact that Vigleik got back from Sweden last night! My trip to California and V's trip to Sweden overlapped in such a way that I hadn't seen him in more than 2 months. Usually I see him every day for many hours (our offices are adjacent and we eat lunch together every day!), so it was quite an adjustment not seeing him for so long. I'm so excited that he's back! Chris is flying in Friday and then our whole gang will be here!

No comments: