Sunday, February 05, 2006

Tomato Sauce (Page 207)

  • Date: Sunday, February 5, 2006 - 7pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: My Apartment!
  • Sous Chef: Mike Hill
  • Recipe Rating: C

I picked this one because I have been craving spaghetti! This sauce wasn't great. It was very chunky (or as Mike said: "big-boned"), but at the same time quite watery. Mike compared it to tomato soup, which seemed pretty accurate. Also, there wasn't a lot of depth of flavor - it just tasted like tomatoes. We cooked up some sausage and added it to the sauce which helped a lot. It made a decent meal, but I gave it a low rating because it's so easy to make a tomato sauce with more flavor and a better consistency...

Today I got back into the swing of life in Boston. I went to Rosie's (the homeless shelter, not the bakery!) as I do every Sunday to cook and serve lunch. I did some work, grocery shopped, went to the gym, made dinner with Mike, and went to Christina's for ice cream! It was a really nice, relaxing day.

I was cleaning a table at Rosie's when one of the homeless women shouted across the dining room, "Hey tall girl, how tall are you?" I told her I was 5 foot 11 inches tall. She told me I was lying, and that I must be at least 6 feet tall. I acknowledged that I was wearing heels (my fabulous cowboy boots no less!) and that with them on I was taller than 6 feet. She told me that I was so tall that men would be scared of me. Then she offered to make me a deal: if I took off my shoes, she would find me a husband. When I declined her offer, she said to me, "No man is ever going to marry you if you wear high heels!" For the rest of the meal, when she wanted my attention she would call out, "Hey, high heels!" As far as nicknames go, I really like it!

No comments: