Saturday, February 04, 2006

Deep-Dish Sausage and Tomato Pizza (Page 200)

  • Date: Friday, February 3, 2006 - 8pm
  • Location: Palo Alto, CA
  • Kitchen: Chris' Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Chris and Soren
  • Recipe Rating: B+

I picked this dish for my last night in California because it was what I had a taste for! This pizza was really pretty good. Chris didn't have a cast-iron skillet, so we just made it in a glass dish, which seemed to work fine. I was skeptical of the lack of tomato sauce, but actually the sausage and chopped tomatoes (and a lot of cheese!) made nice pizza toppings. It was comfort food at its best -- A deep, chewy crust covered in meat and cheese! I always like pizza crusts with cornmeal in them, so I was pleased that there was cornmeal in this recipe. The crust was quite nice, although I have a similar recipe for a whole wheat pizza crust that I like slightly better. All in all, I really liked this pizza -- with some salad and beer it was the perfect meal for my last night in Palo Alto!

I flew back to Boston today, and I am writing this from the comfort of my own apartment! My flight was really nice -- it was so empty that I had three seats to myself. I was able to lay down, and although I can't sleep on airplanes, it still felt restful. I am happy to be home of course, but I am already missing California! With Emilee and Chris both living there now, it feels so strange to not be there with them... I am hoping to go back for some length of time this summer. I am so glad I spent this past month there -- I can't think of a better use of a January! In addition to getting work done, and spending time with some people that I love very much, I also met some great people on this trip! I have no complaints...

Oh no wait, I do have one complaint: I think I am getting sick. It seems that California gave me a cold!

1 comment:

Chris said...

I can also attest to the fact that the pizza is good as leftovers. But even eating her yummy food isn't the same with T so far away. =(

For the record, despite liking this deep dish pizza, I think it can't hold a candle to Teena's whole wheat pizza crust with cornmeal. Maybe Gourmet should have consulted her before publishing its book.