Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Crunchy Vegetable and Brown Rice Salad (Page 150)

  • Date: Wednesday, February 8, 2006 - 7pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Recipe Rating: C+

The random number generator picked this one too (Aside: those of you who sent me numbers sent me so many numbers that picking from your lists is almost as intimidating as picking from the whole book... hence I've reverted back to my random number generator. If you want to send me a number or two though (or an ingredient,, etc...) please do!). Anyway, I didn't like this one. It wasn't bad -- I'm sure I will eat it for lunch tomorrow -- but it wasn't good. It looks so nice and non-threatening, but in actuality the flavors are very aggresive. Between the arugula and the mustard and the acidity of the lemon juice, I felt mildly attacked by every bite. I had envisioned something different, with more brown rice and less arugula, that I think I would like better. This recipe is good in concept, but not so good in this particular manifestation.

I spent a lot of time today thinking about why it is that some things are so hard to say. For me, one of them is "I miss you." There are certain people that I can say this to easily (Emilee comes to mind -- I miss her every day and I tell her I miss her in every email!), but with most people, no matter how much I think about them and miss their presence in my every day life, I just can't articulate it to them. An old Wisconsin friend text messaged me the other day and all it said was "I miss you. Bunches." I was so touched. One of the things I have always liked about him is his ability to be unflinchingly honest about how he feels. I wish I could do that with more people in my life. I sometimes wonder if the people that I care about really understand that I care about them...

There's a beautiful Tracy Chapman song on this topic called "Baby Can I Hold You." The song is very much with me lately.

1 comment:

Chris said...

One of the things about living with Teena for so long is that I heard a lot of Tracy Chapman, so much that the mention of their titles sets them playing in my mind. Though with many albums I moaned in agony when Teena put them on for the bazillionth time in a row, I never felt that way about Tracy Chapman. I came to love her songs, especially those on her eponymous album and on Matters of the Heart---they are so pure and so deeply felt, they always remind me of Teena.