Thursday, February 09, 2006

Lentil and Brown Rice Stew (Page 276)

  • Date: Thursday, February 9, 2006 - 10pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Recipe Rating: B

I picked this one because I figured it would be a good use of the leftover vegetables from yesterday's not-so-good salad. And in fact, it was. This stew is pretty tasty. It's not beautiful, or fancy, but it is warm and hearty and comforting. It's perfect winter food. It doesn't hold a candle to the lentil stew recipe that I inherited from Emilee in college (if you like lentils you should get that recipe from me -- it's amazing!), but it is still good. One fantastic thing about lentils is that they freeze really well. This recipe made a huge batch, which I divided into many, many little tupperwares and put in the freezer for lunches.

Tonight I did a lot of prep work for tutoring tomorrow. I work with a very mathematically talented home-schooled girl. Tutoring may be the wrong word for what I do - I guess I am her math teacher. She was eleven when we started working together, studying calculus. She's twelve now and we have moved on to linear algebra. We just finished working through the linear algebra text actually and I am giving her the final exam tomorrow. I compiled a selection of questions from some old MIT linear algebra exams to give to her. I'm interested to see how she will do. I was at first quite skeptical of teaching someone so young this type of mathematics. In fact, she was ready for it. In addition to being remarkably capable, she is extremely motivated and curious, which makes her just a wonderful student. We work together for 2 hours each week, and in between she completes tremendous amounts of homework, without complaint. Actually, sometimes she complains that I haven't assigned her enough work! I haven't seen her in quite a few weeks, since I have been away in California, so it will be nice to meet with her tomorrow and do some math together!

No comments: