Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Pecan Pie Bars (Page 694)

  • Date: Tuesday, February 7, 2006 - 8pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Jessie and Everton
  • Recipe Rating: A-

This page number was chosen with the online random number generator. These bars are really good. They consist of a shortbread base with a pecan pie filling type topping. Yum! In addition to being very tasty they are also quite quick to make. The recipe makes quite a few -- which means I will be bringing some in to the department tomorrow!

Today was the first day of classes, and hence my first day of teaching my 18.03 (differential equations) recitation. It was really fun. As far as I could tell from the one hour I spent with them, it seems like I have a fun group of students in my class! Teaching is a lot of work of course, but it is something that I really like doing. In typical MIT fashion, when I asked my students what they each were majoring in, they answered by giving their course numbers. Now of course I have no idea what these numbers mean, so I would ask, "What's course 8?" They would respond, "Physics," for example. After asking at least 5 people to translate their course numbers for me, one of my students said he was course 18. Without even thinking, I asked him what that was. He gave me a really priceless look and then said very carefully, "Math." Whoops. That was the only truly embarassing moment from today's class. I'm sure there will be more to come!

I just got back from bluegrass at the Cantab with Mark, Paul, and Kim - a Tuesday night tradition! I wasn't sure I felt like going out tonight, but I am so glad I did. I do really love bluegrass, and hanging out with friends at the Cantab is always fun. In a lot of ways the band tonight was more jazz than bluegrass, but it still really appealed to me.

I'm sleepy. Time for bed...

No comments: