Saturday, February 18, 2006

Chicken and Rice Soup (Page 122)

  • Date: Saturday, February 18, 2006 - 7pm
  • Location: Madison, WI
  • Kitchen: My Mom's Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Terry and Teri (My Parents!)
  • Recipe Rating: B

I don't have The Book with me on my trip, so I picked this recipe by going to Amazon.com and clicking on their "Surprise me" feature, which shows you a random page from the book. This was the page it showed me! This soup was pretty good -- very classic: a whole chicken boiled with rice, carrots, onions, and celery. Once it's all cooked, you remove the meat from the bird and stir it back in. That's it! It was extremely weather appropriate for today -- when I woke up this morning the temperature was 16 degrees below zero Fahrenheit. That's very very cold! The soup made a nice, warm dinner. I took a picture, which I will post when I get back to Boston.

I am really doing much better with airplanes. My flight yesterday was so bad that on the descent the woman next to me made the sign of the cross on her chest. But I was fine -- totally calm! Shocking for me!

I had lunch today with Ross, who was my first real boyfriend, 10 years ago. I love spending time with him. For one, he's just a great guy. But more than that, I feel that I am able to talk more openly with him about the nature of relationships than I am with most people. We had a great 2 hour conversation today over terrible Mexican food at a restaurant that I love purely for sentimental reasons. He's the kind of friend that lets me know when he thinks I am wrong or when I am being really unreasonable. We almost never agree about anything. I think that's fantastic. It was really nice to see him.

So, as many of you know, my parents are married but live most of the time in different states. Their house is in South Carolina, and my dad is there most of the year. My mom mostly stays in an apartment in Madison, which is where I am staying. My dad is also in town now, so it's the three of us in the apartment. My mom's apartment is tiny, but I like it. It is a perfect reflection of her in so many ways. My mother, in addition to being very serious about cleanliness, has an amazing sense of fashion and design. Her apartment is beautifully decorated (and clean!). She has a sense of style that I really admire -- it is such a true reflection of who she is!

No comments: