Monday, February 13, 2006

Buttermilk Cupcakes (Page 721)

  • Date: Monday, February 13, 2006 - 3:15pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Mike, Bridget, Haynes, Peter, Mark, Ricardo, Ana, Rekha, Francesca, etc...
  • Recipe Rating: B-
Mike picked these cupcakes out for his birthday celebration at work today. They weren't terrible, but I wasn't excited about them. I liked the flavor of the cupcakes pretty well -- the buttermilk added a nice tang. But they were denser and dryer than I would have liked. I usually make layer cakes rather than cupcakes, which have the advantage that you can always use some flavored simple syrup to add moistness to a dry cake recipe. With cupcakes, you can't really do that...

I appreciated that Mike let me make something from The Book for his birthday. I was a little worried about making something experimental for Mike's special day, but he was really great about it! I sent him a list of all the cakes in the book that I could make for his birthday and he picked these cupcakes -- that really made me smile! I would have picked the Nectarine Mousse Cake, or the Blackberry Jam Cake with Caramel Icing, or the Cranberry Cognac Trifle -- something ununsual! I liked that Mike picked the cupcakes though -- cupcakes suit him well!

Tomorrow I am speaking in one of the seminars at MIT on computations of Waldhausen's A-Theory of a point (Happy Valentines Day to me!) so I should go work some more on my talk now...

No comments: