Thursday, January 12, 2006

Avocado, Orange, and Jicama Salad (Page 146)

  • Date: Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 8pm
  • Location: Palo Alto, CA
  • Kitchen: Chris' Apartment
  • Sous Chef: Chris
  • Dining Companions: Emilee and Brian
  • Recipe Rating: C+

I chose this recipe because I needed a salad that would go with the main dish (see above) and this seemed like the best bet. Emilee summarized it best: "Well... it's not inedible." True, but it also wasn't good. The curry dressing on the jicama alone wasn't bad, but it just wasn't convincing on the avocado. We all ate it, but we all shared the feeling that something much better could have been done with that produce.

Emilee and Brian came to dinner tonight. Poor Brian -- when I asked him how he thought the recipes should be rated he gave both this salad and the main course an F. His philosophy (which seems reasonable) was that if I didn't like them enough to make them again, I should just fail them! Despite the not-fantastic food choices, we still had a fun dinner. Chris leaves for Mexico on Saturday, at which point I am moving in with Em and Brian so they will be subjected to many more of my experimental dinners! Cooking at their place is great because they have beautiful cookware. I am not one of those women who has been dreaming about her wedding since she was a little girl -- but I have been dreaming about all the great kitchen equipment I will register for!

No comments: