Monday, January 30, 2006

Calvados Applesauce (Page 776)

  • Date: Monday, January 30, 2006 - 11pm
  • Location: Palo Alto, CA
  • Kitchen: Chris' Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Emilee, Brian, Chris, and Soren
  • Recipe Rating: B-

This is an unusual situation. This recipe is actually a component recipe for a dessert that I am making on Wednesday. Thus it is a little hard to rate it on its own... Anyway, I gave it the low rating because I think it is too sweet for applesauce. Granted, it could be awesome in the dessert, but on it's own I wouldn't eat it. It is nice and boozy and has good flavor, but the sugar is a little overwhelming. I think the sweetness will be more balanced in the dessert that it fits into (Apple and Calvados Galette), as there will be a pastry crust, more apples, and calvados cream to contrast the sugar. We shall see...

Making applesauce always reminds me of my mom. There are certain foods that I think most families buy premade but that my mother always made from scratch when we were growing up. For one: applesauce. Another is macaroni and cheese. I was actually unaware of the Kraft Macaroni and Cheese phenomenon until I went to college. My mom makes amazing applesauce (and macaroni and cheese for that matter...). Her applesauce is chunky and tasty but not too sweet. And she always serves it warm, fresh off the stove. I was definitely spoiled by her cooking. I just can't get excited about store bought applesauce, or premade pie crust, or boxed mac and cheese. My mother's homemade versions are just so much better! She doesn't cook that much any more -- for reasons I will never understand she prefers restaurant food to homemade food -- but I am always excited when I can convince her to cook something for me! Her food is really good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

The site looks great. I've just discovered your blog and think the idea is wonderful. So wonderful in fact that I've been doing exactly the same thing for the last 6 months (and blogging about it for a week). I should emphasize that I had no clue you were doing this until half an hour ago. You're well ahead of me, and I just wanted to let you know I admire what you're doing and I'll be reading. If you'd like you can check out my version of the project at www.gourmetproject.ca

Regards,
Kevin