Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Curried Rice (Page 254)

  • Date: Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 7pm
  • Location: Palo Alto, CA
  • Kitchen: Emilee and Brian's Apartment
  • Dining Companion: Brian
  • Recipe Rating: B+

I chose this one because Em and Brian already had the ingredients in their pantry. It has very few ingredients, but quite a bit of flavor. I thought it was quite spicy - Brian claimed he couldn't even taste the spice though! It would make a good accompaniment to a wide variety of dishes. The method for cooking the rice was one that was unfamiliar to me: frying the rice, then boiling it uncovered, then steam-finishing it. The method seems good though -- the rice came out very nicely cooked.

I got to the office at a reasonable hour this morning and had a productive day at work. I went to tea this afternoon for the first time since I have been here. For those who are unfamiliar: it seems that every math department in the country has afternoon tea and snacks at 3:30pm. I have to say, the Stanford department tea has way better food than we do at MIT. At MIT we have Chips Ahoy cookies and Cheez-Its. At Stanford, each day a different grad student is in charge of tea. He or she gets some money from the department and can buy whatever his or her heart desires. Today there were brownies, cookies, carrots, bread with brie, strawberries, etc... It was really nice. Plus, I met some more of the graduate students and post-docs in the department! In defense of MIT: I haven't seen any Swiss Miss Hot Chocolate in the Stanford department yet. (Vigleik: what would we do without our daily hot chocolate?!?)

The downside of the day: the heat was broken in my office. This is not an unfamiliar problem -- at MIT our heat on the 4th floor is broken all the time. But usually Bridget figures out how to get it fixed for us (Bridget is more responsible than all the rest of us on the 4th floor combined!). Sadly, Bridget isn't here to fix the heat. So Izzet and I spent the day freezing in our 60 degree office!

No comments: