Saturday, January 21, 2006

Pumpkin Apple Bread (Page 599)

  • Date: Saturday, January 21, 2006 - 9pm
  • Location: Palo Alto, CA
  • Kitchen: Chris' Apartment
  • Sous Chef: Chris
  • Recipe Rating: B+

I picked this one because I hadn't made anything out of the "Breads and Crackers" section of the book yet and it seemed like it was about time. This was quite good. I think I would prefer it without the apple chunks though. The topping was excellent -- sweet and crunchy. The loaves look nice. The bread has a good flavor and is very moist. I don't have any serious complaints. It made a good dessert and I expect it will also make a good breakfast tomorrow morning.

I spent a lot of time on the phone today. I think my friends and family are starting to realize that while I practically never answer my cell, I do usually answer it on Saturdays! People kept asking me on the phone if I miss Boston, and I kept thinking, "Not so much." Obviously there are people there that I do miss, and I miss the MIT math department, but I really love California! I love that it is warm enough to wear flip-flops. I love that there is a hot tub less than 100 feet from Chris' front door. I love that I can get in the car, roll down the windows, and drive through the foothills. Maybe I am just not a city girl at heart, but Cambridge is too crowded for me. I love that there is more space here, yet there are still things to do and good food, and many of the advantages of city life. And of course, I love my dear friends here that I see much too infrequently!

I will be back in Boston in two weeks though, and that will be good too. I do miss the fabulously fun MIT topology group. I miss throwing big dinner parties. I miss my own bed. I miss being at the homeless shelter, making lunch and hanging out with the people on my shift. I miss my well stocked pantry! But mostly I miss all the people in Boston that I care about (you know who you are!), and I am looking forward to seeing you soon.

1 comment:

Chris said...

We've finished the first loaf of this (but there's another one in the freezer for later!) and moved onto the ginger cookies for lunchtime dessert. The pumpkin bread is extremely good, though the apple chunks do seem a bit out of place (not M&Ms-in-your-cheesecake out of place, but still). Pumpkin Apple Bread - Apple = Super Duper Scrumptious "A" Recipe.