Friday, January 20, 2006

Bananas Foster Cheesecake (Page 755)

  • Date: Friday, January 20, 2006 - 7pm
  • Location: Palo Alto, CA
  • Kitchen: Emilee and Brian's Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Emilee
  • Dining Companions: Brian, Bret, Stanford Mike, and Kai-Mei
  • Recipe Rating: C+

Emilee and I picked this one because it sounded good and seemed like a good use for our banana rum! In fact, it wasn't such a good choice. It wasn't terrible, but it just had so many problems. For one, while the ladyfingers on the outside were pretty, they just didn't taste good. I don't support sacrificing flavor just so the dish is cute. The cream cheese filling was quite good - very fluffy with good banana flavor, but the banana filling seemed out of place. Having big chunks in a cheesecake just doesn't seem like a good idea, even if they are yummy chunks of bananas cooked in rum. Finally, the praline topping was really grainy. We followed the recipe when it said to cool to room temperature, but I think it would have been better if we had not let it cool so much. I did like the crust. I wouldn't make this one again, but everyone did eat it without complaint so that's something.

We had a dinner party tonight. Brian did all the real cooking -- Emilee and I just contributed this dessert. Brian made beef vendaloo, beef in fragrant spinach sauce, red lentil pancakes, and rosewater lassis. It was all quite good. I was skeptical of the lentil pancakes after watching those pureed lentils ferment on the counter for two days, but they tasted great.

My friend Bret was one of the dinner guests. He was part of our college gang, so we used to spend tons of time together. I hadn't seen him in a couple of years though. He's the project manager of Google Maps now, so it was fun to catch up with him and hear all about life at Google.

This cookbook I am making my way through says only that it has more than 1000 recipes. I became quite curious what the actual number is, so over the last few days I counted. Now, there is some ambiguity about what one should count -- a few recipes have sub-recipes in them. I counted everything. Up to a possible small error (counting is not my specialty) the number is: 1276! That's really a lot. I could be at this for a while...

2 comments:

Mike Hill said...

1276! Then you can do my all time favorite number: 1236. I'm elated. Of course, you have to wait to make it until you get home, so that I can try it too. Unless it sucks, in which case, have fun!

Teena said...

Recipe 1236 appears to be Papaya Pineapple Salsa, which seems like something you would eat! I'll wait and make it for you :)