Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Red Wine Risotto (Page 256)

  • Date: Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 7:30pm
  • Location: Palo Alto, CA
  • Kitchen: Emilee and Brian's Kitchen
  • Dining Companion: Emilee
  • Recipe Rating: A

Mike chose the page number for this one (note: 256 is a power of a prime!). It was awesome! Seriously, it seems hard to go wrong with risotto that has pancetta, red wine, parmigiano-reggiano, etc... in it, but it was even better than I expected. Emilee, too, gave it an unequivocal two thumbs up! It was creamy and had amazing flavor. The color was a little questionable (think: purple), but that didn't bother me. I highly, highly recommend it!

Emilee and I also started making a cheesecake today (more on that when we eat it later this week!). Between the cheesecake ingredients and the risotto ingredients we ended up going to three different grocery stores this evening. The contrast was amusing: Safeway vs. Whole Foods vs. Ferrari Foods. We certainly saw both ends of the food-quality spectrum. The meat selection at Ferrari's was really impressive. Beautiful meats that I had never even heard of (e.g. porchetta). I love it there!

As I write this, we are all sitting around the dining table, drinking beer and two-buck Chuck. Emilee is making flashcards of skin diseases and Brian is surrounded by Indian cookbooks, looking for the perfect red lentil pancake recipe. The water bath for our cheesecake is overflowing into the oven, making amazing hissing noises. And I am just sitting here, overwhelmed by the feeling that everything is perfect!

No comments: