Thursday, January 12, 2006

Spicy Pork with Bean Thread Noodles (Page 248)

  • Date: Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 8pm
  • Location: Palo Alto, CA
  • Kitchen: Chris' Apartment
  • Sous Chef: Chris Douglas
  • Dining Companions: Emilee and Brian
  • Recipe Rating: B

This is the last recipe I picked with the online random number generator (now that you all have sent me some numbers!). I thought this dish was pretty good. The seasoning was quite good. Brian objected to the squishiness of the noodles, which didn't bother me, yet did seem like a legitimate concern. It was a quick dish -- very easy to make -- and would thus make a good last-minute dinner.

I spent a lot of time today thinking about promises. I have been in love with 3 men in my life. The first one never promised me anything. He knew his limitations. He could be a jerk sometimes, he lied, and he treated me badly (err: we treated each other badly), but in time all was forgiven and we are friends to this day. There are no broken promises in our past. The third guy made lots of promises. He is a nice guy -- the kind of guy it is easy to believe. He broke his most significant promise to me though, and while we are still good friends, I struggle daily with how to forgive him for that. The middle guy made only one promise: that we would always be friends. And for years we did that, and we were great at it. But we made some bad decisions, he and I. We made choices that have now made our friendship an impossibility. We, together, broke the promise he made to me. And I don't know who to be upset with: him or me. Today it really got to me, being in the same city as him, and not actually being able to see him. It just seems so ridiculous. I hope, in time, things will be different. I hope there will be a day when he and I will be in the kitchen together again, surrounded by our respective spouses and children, making a huge seared tuna and blood orange salad. Until then...

No comments: