Saturday, January 07, 2006

Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies (Page 674)

  • Date: Saturday, January 7th, 2006 - 5pm
  • Location: Palo Alto, CA
  • Kitchen: Chris' apartment
  • Dining Companions: Chris and Spencer
  • Recipe Rating: B-

I chose this recipe because it was the only cookie in the book that Chris had all the ingredients for in his pantry! I was skeptical of cookies without flour, but these aren't bad. Mine came out a little dry, but they have a fabulous melt-in-you-mouth quality that you wouldn't expect from a peanut butter cookie. They are quite delicate -- I touched one while they were baking to see if they felt done and it collapsed under the weight of my finger!

When I took my Ph.D. qualifying exam, more than two years ago now, I made a deal with Chris. We lived together at the time and I had been begging for a pet. He told me that if I failed my exam, he would get me a dog to make me feel better. If I conditionally passed he would get me a cat. And if I actually passed, I didn't get anything (passing would be present enough!). I passed my exam, but despite the deal Chris surprised me with a beautiful KitchenAid stand mixer as a congratulatory gift. Since I no longer needed it, I turned over my trusty old hand mixer to Chris. Today, as I was making these cookies, I realized I was mixing with that old hand mixer. It was with me so long that I can't even remember when I bought it. Using it again was like seeing an old friend.

Spencer and I went to the new De Young Museum in San Francisco today. We went more for the architecture than the art, and the building is spectacular! The view of San Francisco from the tower, alone, was worth the trip there!

No comments: