Monday, January 16, 2006

Vinegar Pie (Page 767)

  • Date: Monday, January 16, 2006 - 8pm
  • Location: Palo Alto, CA
  • Kitchen: Emilee and Brian's Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Emilee
  • Dining Companion: Brian
  • Recipe Rating: B

Yup, that's right: vinegar pie. Emilee randomly selected this page, and happened to land on one of Brian's all time favorites! I had never actually eaten vinegar pie before, so I was really excited about it. It wasn't bad. Brian was very happy with it -- although he said he would have added even more vinegar! The pie has a semi-puff crust (see below) and a filling that is similar to lemon curd, but with cider vinegar rather than lemon. It wasn't the most photogenic dessert I have ever seen, but the flavor was quite interesting. I don't think I would make it again, but I enjoyed having a piece of it.

One thing I really like about staying with friends is seeing what kinds of food people have in their pantry. Emilee and Brian are both great cooks, so their apartment is really well stocked. They have a lot of things I don't stock: e.g. huge bags of dried pasilla and guajillo chiles. Brian is also really interested in Indian cooking so they have lots of interesting spices and varieties of lentils, etc... I love a well-stocked kitchen. It just feels like there are endless possibilities in front of me! We made our vinegar pie today without even going to the grocery store. It also gives me a chance to eat things I don't usually eat. I discovered today how fabulous sweet-hot mustard is.

Chris, on the other hand, has Hamburger Helper in his pantry! Hmmm... he's going to be mad that I shared that :). I like to tease him about the Hamburger Helper, but in all honesty, I have never tried it -- I am always interested in trying new things. Maybe when he gets back I will make it!

Emilee and I have been listening to country and bluegrass all day. I was on a date a few weeks ago with a guy who doesn't like country music (actually he gave me the most shocked and sad look when he realized that I listen to the Dixie Chicks - I felt like I had really disappointed him!). I just can't believe that anyone could listen to Alison Krauss singing "The Lucky One" or Lucinda Williams singing "Pineola" and claim they don't like country music! At least Emilee loves it just as much as me!

1 comment:

Mike Hill said...

I love Alison Krauss! My favorite of her songs is "Ghost in this House", though. So sad.

And to be fair, this pie sounds really interesting, so you might have to make it one more time... ;-)