Monday, January 09, 2006

Rosemary Walnuts (Page 5)

  • Date: Monday, January 9th, 2006 - 6pm
  • Location: Palo Alto, CA
  • Kitchen: Chris' Apartment
  • Dining Companion: Chris
  • Recipe Rating: A-

The online number generator chose this, the first recipe-bearing page of the book. These walnuts are good. They are spicy, and toasty, and flavorful. And they are really, really simple to make. I would definitely serve them as a casual appetizer at a party.

I'm feeling slightly phased today. It would be my grandmother's birthday today, but she died this summer. For long and complicated reasons, I ended up not making it to her funeral. I feel both guilty and personally regretful about this. It's a weird thing, but it is hard for me to really recognize that someone is gone if I don't attend his or her funeral. Something about seeing a body, or at least a coffin, provides some closure for me. I really should have made cookies today. When I was small, Grandma and I used to always make cookies.

One nice thing about being in a bad mood is that I always get a lot of work done. I locked myself in Chris' apartment today and wrote a draft of a talk I've been stressing about. Tonight I am going to see Brokeback Mountain with Veronique and her boyfriend. Emilee told me that after she saw it she felt like she'd been kicked in the stomach, so maybe it's not the best choice for today... but oh well.

1 comment:

Chris said...

I almost thought these rosemary walnuts should have gotten an "A". I don't like nuts, generally speaking, but these were so good I kept munching on them, and I can't imagine how a walnut could taste better.

I can also vouch for the fact that T gets an absurd amount of work done when she's in a bad mood. I'm quite the opposite and can't work at all in such states, so I'm always amazed at her fuming productivity!