Saturday, January 28, 2006

Guacamole (Page 9)

  • Date: Friday, January 27, 2006 - 5pm
  • Location: Palo Alto, CA
  • Kitchen: Chris' Apartment
  • Dining Companion: Chris
  • Recipe Rating: B+

Mike picked the page number for this one. I have to admit that when I make guacamole, usually I just mash up some avocado, add some kosher salt, and call it done. But I did still like this recipe, with onions, serrano chiles, and lime juice. Honestly though, it's hard to make guacamole that's not good! I made this as an after-work snack and it was perfectly satisfying. The serrano chiles added a surprising amount of kick (more on the chiles later), and the onion added a little crunch. All in all, a good recipe.

So about the chiles... In my post-work daze I forgot that one should be a little cautious when dealing with chiles. People always say to wear gloves, but usually I just wash my hands carefully with soap and water when I am done. Today I accidentally neglected that small step. Some time later my nose was itchy and I rubbed it with my not-very-carefully-washed chile hands. In summary, I got some capsaicin on the very sensitive skin just inside my nose. If you have never had a bad experience with capsaicin you'll have to trust me on this: the burning was unbelievable. Internet research suggested only one solution: milk. So I spent a number of minutes in the early evening with my face in a bowl full of milk. It wasn't glamorous, but it worked!

After recovering from my injury, I went to dinner. Ralph (a Stanford topology prof) and his wife invited us over to their house for dinner with a few assistant professors from the department. It was such a nice time. His wife made some great food (stuffed flank steak, homemade peppermint ice cream, etc...), and we stayed there until nearly midnight, just drinking wine and telling stories. It was a really nice evening.

I am driving down to LA tomorrow to see friends over the weekend, so I may not post for a few days!

No comments: