Sunday, January 15, 2006

Baked Apples (Page 802)

  • Date: Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 7pm
  • Location: Palo Alto, CA
  • Kitchen: Emilee and Brian's Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Emilee
  • Dining Companion: Brian
  • Recipe Rating: A

Em and I chose this dessert because last night Brian complained about us making a dessert with bananas rather than one with apples. Just for the record, tonight he complained that we used apples instead of berries -- some people are hard to please! Even he couldn't deny though that this dessert was amazing. As you can see, it has earned the first A in my ratings so far. The apples were tender and sweet, and perfectly complemented by the tang of the creme fraiche. And the brandy sauce was really really good. The vinegar in the pan juices added a lot of depth to the sauce. On top of it all, it was very easy to make!

Today was a nice day. I got some work done, did some cooking, went on a long walk with Em. I also got email today from a couple old friends that I haven't talked to in a while, which was really nice. One thing I don't love about being in academia is that everyone moves around so much. At least in the early stages, everyone moves every few years. So it seems at any point in time either some of your friends are moving away, or you are moving away from your friends. Elliot once told me that there were a handful of people in his life that he wished he could put in his pocket, and always have with him. It's such a nice idea, being able to have the people you love most near you always. On the up side, there are people I care about in so many places now - whenever I travel there are always friendly faces!

No comments: